Sunday, March 7, 2010

Gooey Butter Cake

So, while I was looking through my thousands of PTA, Church and miscellaneous fundraiser cookbooks for a recipe the other day, I found an interesting recipe that I kept in the back of my mind just in case I needed a dessert recipe for something. Little did I know that I would need it just two days later, and that it was something that everyone that lived in the south new about. It was a big hit around our house. It is called Gooey Butter Cake from the "In the Kitchen with the Carrollton PTA" cookbook, from member Nancy Grant. I have since heard it called "Chess Cake", too. I think it should be called "Artery Busting Diabetic Coma in a Cake Pan", personally. Enjoy it, whatever you choose to call it.

Gooey Butter Cake

1 box pound cake mix (or butter flavored yellow cake mix)
2 eggs
1 stick butter, melted

Blend together and pour into 9x13 baking dish.

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (not light)
2 eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
1 box (4 cups) powdered sugar

Combine ingredients together, minus 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar; mix well. Spread over batter in dish. Bake for 15 minutes at 300. Remove cake and sprinkle with remaining powdered sugar. Return to oven and continue to bake 25 minutes longer. Good cold, better warm.

1 comment:

  1. We call this Neiman Marcus Cake--no clue why. Well, unless it's a nod to the cost of something at Neiman's equivalent to the number of fat grams and calories...
    Very yummy, though. So sweet it'll make your teeth hurt!

    ReplyDelete