Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Eclair Cake

Grant has been begging me to post this. He has been my driving force to keep going on this blog right now, it seems! This is an old recipe that I have actually had for a lot of years, but was reminded of by my lovely niece, Beth, when she posted it one day. My original recipe actually has you making your own frosting, but I like Beth's better. I will give you both ways and you decide.

When I brought it to the Annual Spaghetti Dinner and Talent Show at church this week, there was a little crowd gathered around the dish. I think that Grant was coaxing them, but it was devoured.

Eclair Cake

1 box graham crackers
2 pkg. instant French vanilla pudding
12 oz. Cool Whip (I never look and usually use the "regular" size that's 8 oz.)
3 cups cold milk (my niece uses 2, I switch back and forth)

Homemade Frosting:
2 oz. melted unsweetened chocolate
2 teaspoons corn syrup (Karo)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk

Place a layer of whole graham crackers on bottom of 9 x 13 inch pan. At any layer, you might need to break up the graham cracker a bit to make sure that the layer is covered. Do not crumble or be overly concerned that every fraction is covered. Combine pudding and milk; beat according to package directions; Fold in Cool Whip. Pour 1/2 of this mixture over the graham crackers. Put another layer of graham crackers on top of this, them add the rest of the mixture. Top with a last layer of graham crackers and frost with the frosting mixture. Refrigerate at least 24 hours before serving.

Alternate and equally delicious method of frosting is to use a can of chocolate frosting. Microwave on high for 30 seconds or so until a pourable consistency. Pour over top layer of graham crackers. You need to make sure that you use the homestyle frosting, not the whipped or light or reduced sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment