Saturday, December 10, 2011

Coffee Cake

Wow, two blog posts in a short amount of time. You can thank my daughter for that. She has asked for my coffee cake recipe, so I decided to share it. It's not like it's a big secret. It's an recipe from a cookbook that I treasure SOOOO much, that when mine fell apart, I found one on eBay to replace it. Yep. It was published way back before I was even born. The Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book. 1958. I'm particularly glad it's revised and enlarged, because that means that I can read the print! Here you go, straight from page 99.

Prize Coffee Cake, Streusel Filled

Mix thoroughly:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup soft shortening (like Crisco)
1 egg
Stir in:
1/2 cup milk
Sift together (like I do that) and stir in:
1 1/2 cups sifted (really?) GOLD MEDAL flour (that's what the recipe says)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Spread half of the batter in greased and floured 9" square pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the struesel mixture (to follow) add the remaining batter, and sprinkle remaining Streusel over top.

Streusel Mixture
Mix...
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed, of course)
2 tbsp flour
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans, and this is sometimes optional at our house.)

Bake @ 375 for 25-35 minutes, until toothpick stuck into center of cake comes out clean. Serve warm, fresh from the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment