Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chicken Cacciatore

So, last night, I had defrosted some chicken with absolutely no idea what I would do with the stuff. I had made a big pot of my vegan bean and rice soup for Grant, because he had run out of food for breakfast, so now I had to come up with something absolutely yummy. Turns out, I can fake it in the kitchen very well! Here is my own version of Chicken Cacciatore.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
8 ounce package mushrooms, sliced
1 pound chicken breast or tenders, pounded thin
15 ounce can tomato sauce (you can use stewed tomatoes if you prefer. I like sauce)
1 can sliced black olives
1 teaspoon or so oregano
1/2 cup or so red wine

Saute onion and mushrooms in 2 teaspoons of the olive oil until the onion is translucent and the mushrooms are soft. Remove from pan and set aside. Salt and pepper chicken, then brown chicken on both sides. Top with the onions and mushrooms, oregano, tomato sauce, olives, and the wine. Let it simmer for just a bit. There is no exact measurement for the wine and oregano. I am guessing on the amount. A good pour of the wine is what I used, and the oregano seemed like about a teaspoon. Brian said it might have been the best Chicken Cacciatore he has ever had. I served it with pasta. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment