Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sweet Potato Casserole

My husband grew up in southern Illinois. While visiting his brother, Rick, and other family members, Rick brought out this cook book published by the local community art, music and theater organization called the "Clinton County Showcase". Now, I'm always a sucker for locally produced cookbooks, and since Rick wouldn't part with his copy, I went on a crusade to find a copy of my own. I finally found one at the local grocery store. Coincidentally, the book was put together by my husband's high school sweetheart's sister. Small world, isn't it? We have several family favorites in it. Here is one (coincidentally, also by my husband's high school sweetheart's sister).

Sweet Potato Casserole

3 cups cooked and mashed fresh sweet potatoes
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup) melted
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 stick butter, softened

Combine sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk, and vanilla. Mix well and put in shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Mix together topping ingredients; spread over sweet potato mixture. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. this looks yummy. b/c I'm into convenience foods (not lazy, just speedy) I think I'll order a bag of roasted sweet potatoes from Schwann's for this recipe. I used a crock pot candied yams recipe for Christmas and they worked well in that.
    Thanks for the blog, love the posts! And the family, too!

    ReplyDelete